Friday 14 May 2010

Eskimo Joe and the 200 Posts

Contemplating my Blogger Dashboard the other day brought to my attention the following astounding fact: this is my 200th Post! I can’t let this milestone pass without marking it in some way so I thought I’d have a think about what has happened since that long off day in May 2007 when I posted my first thoughts.


The impetus for starting my own blog came from my oldest internet buddy and cartoonist extraordinaire, TR1-guy, who became a blogger soon after I first encountered him via his ‘Fanny’ internet site (now FannyRocks) to which I contributed some content. Having just published my book, I needed an outlet for my writing without the commitment of another huge tome and so chose to start my own blog, ‘Music Obsessive’ and here we are 200 posts later.

The one thing that has surprised me about blogging is how much fun it has been to make ‘internet friends’ and how widespread geographically they are and how loyal they can be. One of the very first blogs I encountered and decided that I liked enough to go back to regularly was Jayne’s ‘A Novice Novelist’. We have been commenting back and forth ever since and she is a Top Commentator on this blog (see widget in right hand side bar). In fact, Jayne, you have two entries in the list so if you hadn’t changed your name, you’d be number one!

Others that I would like to thank for their support over the years include Charlie, Barbara (Layla), Jeff, Jennifer K, Perplexio and Alan, my one ‘freelance’ commentator.

I have also been lucky enough to connect with people who actually work in the music industry which has added a new insight into my chosen subject, people like Adrian du Plessis, manager of Canadian singer Allison Crowe, who is another regular commentator at this blog (check out Adrian’s own blog to hear tracks from Allison’s new CD, ‘Spiral’). Others in this category would be Doris Brendel, ex-singer with The Velvet Hour and now a solo artist, whose new album I intend to review as soon as it is available, and the two remaining members of Martha and the Muffins.

New friends continue to arrive. A new blog that I have found very entertaining is the Oz husband and wife team, YourZenMine who write great reviews of favourite albums in their collection and indulge in a bit of marital bickering on the side. Great fun! I’ve been a regular visitor to their blog and left one or two comments when the urge took me. In return and quite unprompted, I have been presented with a CD from their native land, ‘A Song Is A City’ by Eskimo Joe. And just to prove what impeccable taste they have, it is really very good. Whilst it has that slightly indefinable antipodean feel of a Crowded House/Savage Garden with added INXS, it is packed with great songs and rolls along with real gusto. So much so that my wife has purloined it to play in the car on the school run. Recommended.

So to everyone who has read this blog or commented or both, thank you very much for being around. I’ll try and make it worth your while for another 200 posts.

15 comments:

Charlie Ricci said...

Congratulations from the colonies! 200 posts! You're doing quite well. It took me 5 years to hit 270!

Perplexio said...

It's funny you should mention YourZenMine... I didn't even realize they were Aussie initially then I noticed reviews for groups like the Cruel Sea and Nick Cave that tipped their hand. I've come to enjoy their blog as well.

Admittedly, initially, when I first visited your blog I wasn't sure whether I'd be back. Then I checked out some of your older posts. It was through some of those that I really grew to enjoy your take on music... But being a Chicago fan it was your post on Chicago V that was the real clincher for me.

Adrian said...

As long as you're serving pie, I'll keep coming back!

Let me add my congratulations and celebratory notes to this occasion of your 200th post!!

It's always a pleasure to visit your blog. Your love of music is heard in every post.

Thank you!!

music obsessive said...

Thanks Charlie - Actually, I'm slowing down a bit now and only managing to get a post out once a week instead of every 4/5 days. Must be old age.

Hi Perplexio - glad you decided to stay. I'm a fervent Chicago fan, but only really up to volume 5. I own volumes 6 and 7 but very rarely play them. Anything beyond is off limits, I'm afraid.

Adrian - comment much appreciated! I'll keep writing as long as I feel I have something to say and artists continue to create stuff for me to write about!

Perplexio said...

You're not missing much with VIII or X (IX was a greatest hits package) but XI has some really good stuff on it. I'd argue XI was their best album since V. If you only ever pick up one of their later albums get XI.

music obsessive said...

Thanks Perplexio. I suspected as much, but may have a look at XI if you reccommend it.

Jennifer K said...

Congrats on your 200th post! Keep'em coming!

music obsessive said...

Thanks Jennifer. I'll try!

Charlie Ricci said...

Chicago VII & XI are almost the equal of their first 5 albums. VI, VIII, X are inferior.

music obsessive said...

Charlie - I certainly agree about VI and VIII. I thought VII was OK but the material was not really up the scratch. I don't know X at all so can't comment. Looks like I should listen to afew later albums but somehow can't quite get the enthusiasm...

Jayne said...

Oh I like your '200th post' speech! You found my blog on my
11th post when I decided to write about Sapphire and Steel. I am now on post 383! Gosh. Glad you liked the blog enough to come back! And I had no idea that changing my name would affect my top commentator status - damn! Adrian just beats me by two as well... (one now, hits send!)

Here's to the next 200!

music obsessive said...

Hello Jayne. Yes, you're right. I've just checked back to the comments on my S&S post, it was only my second attempt! Oh, the memories!

PS did you ever get to watch Assignment 2 ?

Perplexio said...

You can skip Chicago X. The band was a coked up mess. Other than Scrapbook and Once or Twice, X is largely forgettable. Some of the other songs on the album include the rather unfortunate You Get It Up and Skin Tight.

XI was a return to form and is probably their 2nd best single LP album (after V). It was Terry Kath's final album before his unfortunate death and the last album produced by James William Guercio before his firing. It was also one of the first albums where Danny Seraphine showed his songwriting chops (on Take Me Back to Chicago and Little One both of which took on a considerably different tone in light of Terry Kath's passing shortly after the album's release).

YourZ said...

Well, I'm so sorry I missed this when you first posted it. But I'm particularly pleased to hear you like Eskimo Joe. We had a feeling you would. Thanks for the kind words of support too. We appreciate them very much.

Thanks to you too, Perplexio.

YourZ

music obsessive said...

Thanks YourZ - always a pleasure to read a well written blog - you'd be surprised how many aren't (or maybe you won't).