Friday 7 December 2007

One Today!!


Hurrah! My Book is officially one year old today (‘Happy Birthday to you…etc’). Actually, it was formally published on 13th December but it was available prior to the official date so as to catch the Christmas market (Ha!), but today is its real Birthday!

I still have no clue from the publishers as to how many I’ve sold (something to do with long sale-or-return delays) so I am undecided as to whether I should be celebrating or not (probably ‘not’) but I think I shall anyway.

A BIG THANK YOU to all of you who have bought it, even if you have since given it away or lost it down the back of the sofa. I hope you were entertained but even if you weren’t at least it will look very colourful on your shelf and will act as a good conversation piece. I have to say that my first inkling of the proposed cover design was when my wife rang me at work to say that the proof had arrived in the post and when I asked her what it looked like there was a horrible silence at the other end of the phone for what seemed like an eternity followed by a blurted, ‘It’s YELLOW…!’

Happily, I have learned to live with it so I hope you have too.

PS If you have read it and liked it, a review on Amazon.co.uk would be nice!!
PPS It is still available if you need a last minute Christmas present!

4 comments:

TR1-Guy said...

We should celebrate all birthdays with joy, even if they are not as well known as others! Publishers are just above whale-poop in my opinion (just like movie studio execs, record execs, etc.) as they will never tell you the whole truth about sales as if they did, they'd have to pay the artist a ton of money. Take joy in the fact that if even one person bought the book and enjoyed it, you made a difference in the world. I'm sure at least two people bought it, so you good to go! :) Congrats regardless!

music obsessive said...

Thank you for your kind words! Not having any first hand experience of whale-poop I will bow to your media experience in these matters and take your word for it!
You're quite right, of course, in that even if small numbers of people can be brought a little joy, it is worth doing. I have one or two emails from readers who said some heart-warming things so I'm happy with that.
Never wanted to be a millionaire anyway.
Ahem!

Adrian said...

Happy Birthday to Memoirs!

I'm just back from the road, touring is winding down. I shall soon make comments I've had in mind for a while - about the delights of your book ( :

Right now, a rousing chorus of Happy Birthday seems the thing!

cheers, Ad

music obsessive said...

Welcome back! I hope you now have a relaxing holiday after the trials of the road. Look forward to the comments!